Timmy Jernigan | Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images
Another veteran for the Raiders to consider
The Las Vegas Raiders have been one of the busiest teams in the NFL on the free agent market this offseason. They spent big early in free agency and have continued to tinker with the roster throughout the offseason.
Add a new name for the Raiders to consider if they choose to: Defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan.
His agreed deal with the Houston Texans has fallen apart. There have been a few deals that blew up this offseason including an agreed deal between the Raiders and cornerback Eli Apple, who eventually signed with the Carolina Panthers.
Since the Raiders always consider every available player (smart move). I would expect them to at least look at film of Jernigan. The Raiders added Maliek Collins at defensive tackle in free agency and there were reports that they were looking at the position in the draft, but didn’t select anyone at defensive tackle.
If signed, Jernigan would be a depth piece, but that’s something they’ve been doing as they recently signed backup cornerback Prince Amukamara and reserve running back Devontae Booker. The Raiders have just over $8 million in salary-cap room and still have to sign their rookies. So, they don’t have much to spend on Jernigan.
Jernigan is just 27. He spent the past three seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles after being a second-round pick by Baltimore in 2014.
In other Raiders’ links:
- Big money: The Raiders are spending big at right guard and right tackle.
- Tight deadline: The Raiders expect Allegiant Stadium to open in time in August, but owner Mark Davis told the Las Vegas Review Journal that the deadline is being pushed.
- Maybe next year: The Raiders summer days in Napa, California, aren’t necessarily over for good.
- A first for Raiders: When they train in Henderson, Nevada this summer, it will be the first time in team history that they didn’t go away for training camp.
- Raiders thank Napa: The Raiders’ released a statement Tuesday night, thanking the city of Napa hosting them each summer since 1996. Napa was a great camp location. I have great memories from there.