Allegiant Stadium | Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images
Raiders’ new stadium is going to be a showcase for the team
This is your latest reminder that your favorite football team is about to move into a palace and it will begin a special time in the Raiders’ history.
The Las Vegas Review Journal reported that the lanai doors were open on Wednesday in the circular, roofed building … that hasn’t happened in months. The inside glimpse showed the gigantic Al Davis torch is already inside, continuing the tradition that the old Oakland Coliseum started with the torch flaming during every game after Davis’ death in 2011.
This is going to be a great building and will probably go right to the top of the list of the coolest stadiums in the NFL. When was the last time you could say that about a Raiders’ home stadium? Yep, probably never.
I know a lot of fans will miss the Oakland Coliseum, but there will be no comparison to this new stadium in terms of amenities.
The Raiders are going to be known as being a class organization in Las Vegas, in large part, because of Allegiant Stadium, a fact that visiting players will remember when they are eligible for free agency.
Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I don’t recall the Oakland Coliseum being a main drawing card for free agents.
In other Raiders’ links:
- Carr explains comments: Last week, we discussed Derek Carr’s strong words of supported for George Floyd, the African American man from Minneapolis who died last week after being restrained by a police officer. Carr further explained his reasons to NFL.com.
- Carr good under pressure: NFL.com ranks Carr as the third best quarterback in the NFL under pressure.
- Raiders offer support: The Raiders offered best wishes to police officer Shay Mikalois, who was wounded on duty this week
- Owners join Mark Davis: Other NFL owners have made supportive statements about the need for social change as Raiders’ owner Mark Davis did in this time of national unrest.
- The secret weapon: The Las Vegas Review Journal has a look at third-round pick Lynn Bowden, who will play a lot of different roles for the Raiders.