What if Raiders hadn’t picked JaMarcus Russell in 2007 NFL draft?
Those were vital drafts for the Raiders because they had the No. 1 overall pick in 2007 and the No. 4 pick in 2008. Of course, in hindsight they had mixed results.
In 2007, the Raiders notoriously picked quarterback JaMarcus Russell with the No. 1 pick, which will go down as one of the worst all-time NFL draft picks. Russell played parts of just three NFL seasons, all with the Raiders … and he was awful.
The Raiders didn’t do nearly as bad with the No. 4 overall pick in 2008. They selected running back Darren McFadden out of Arkansas. He was a solid player, but was not a consistent star. Still, McFadden played seven seasons with the Raiders and parts of three more seasons with the Dallas Cowboys. Ultimately, he had a solid career.
In the Bleacher Report’s redrafts, the Raiders took receiver Calvin Johnson in 2007 and receiver DeSean Jackson in 2008. In reality, Johnson was the No. 2 pick by Detroit and Jackson was taken in the second round by the Eagles.
The Raiders thought about taking Johnson, but went for a quarterback instead. No team would have taken Jackson over McFadden at the time, so you really can’t harp on that one. But, yes, Mr. Johnson would have been a nice Raider.
In other Raiders’ links:
- Clowney-Eagles talk: NFL reporter Adam Caplan said pass-rusher Jadeveon Clowney will only end up with the Eagles if his price goes down. The Raiders have interest in Clowney as well.
- Carr is accurate: Football Outsiders have some stats that show Derek Carr was quite accurate in 2019.
- Hudson love: Man, Rodney Hudson’s teammates love him.
- Condolences to Rivera family: The remains of actress Naya Rivera have been found at a Southern California lake. Her brother, Mychal Rivera, was a tight end for the Raiders from 2013-16.
- No love for Raiders’ weapons: ESPN ranked offensive weapons in the league and the Raiders’ come in at No. 24. With all the young talent, perhaps the group will be ranked higher next year.